Site Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts
  • Local time: 12:16 PM
  • Favorite Apps:Cinema 4D, Max, RealFlow, Terragen, Motionbuilder
  • Machine Specs:I7 930 4.2 Ghz 12 GB Ram

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

I agree the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a crime against humanity but then so was Dresden, Coventry, Guernica and so on

However discussing this with a friend the other night i was gobsmacked to find out that he was not aware of the Japanese Nuclear weapons program, if they had succeed before the US i have NO DOUBT they would have used their bomb without a second thought.

And of course the germans were well into their program as well, it is a bizarre twist of fate that at the end of the war in Europe the US was desperately scouring Europe for Unranium for their bombs, the German UBoat U-234 was on it's way to Japan carring ,amongst other nasties, Uranium for the Japanese Bomb Program, it surrendered to the US before reaching Japan

The cargo included technical drawings, examples of the newest electric torpedoes, one crated Me 262 jet aircraft, a Henschel Hs 293 glide bomb and what was listed on the US Unloading Manifest as 560 kg of uranium oxide

The uranium subsequently disappeared, most likely finding its way to the Manhattan Project's Oak Ridge diffusion plant. It has been calculated that it would have yielded approximately 7.7 pounds (3.5 kg) of U-235 after processing, around 20% of what would have been required to arm a contemporary fission weapon

It is quite possible that this was actually used in the bombs of Hiroshima or Nagasaki

What goes around comes around

http://en.wikipedia...._weapon_program

While there are currently no known plans in Japan to produce nuclear weapons, it has been argued Japan has the technology, raw materials, and the capital to produce nuclear weapons within one year if necessary, and some analysts consider it a de facto nuclear state for this reason.[28] For this reason Japan is often said to be a "screwdriver's turn"[29][30] away from possessing nuclear weapons.

It has been pointed out that as long as Japan enjoys the benefits of a "nuclear-ready" status held through surrounding countries, it will see no reason to actually produce nuclear arms, since by remaining below the threshold, albeit with the capability to cross it at short notice, Japan can expect the support of the US while posing as an equal to China and Russia
  • DosephDoff likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users