Just Arrived

• Contributers
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 03:12 AM
  • Favorite Apps:C4D
  • Machine Specs:Mac

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

Hello! First of all I want to say thank you for all of the great material you've provided on this site! I've done all of the tutorials on here for TFD and many from other sources and for the life of me I'm unable to recreate the look of the smoke in the images provided. These pics are from the Jawset forum where this question was asked and got no response.

I want the smoke to look as if it were very small with long trailing strands. All of the smoke I create seems to be much larger in scale than I'm trying to achieve. Would be very grateful to understand the dynamics involved in creating long sinewy elements. This question as far as I know has not yet been answered online among the TFD community.

Would really love a tutorial or an example file to play with but any help would be enthusiastically received.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • MaryAnnjoile likes this

#2 SFX

SFX

Site Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts
  • Local time: 12:12 PM
  • Favorite Apps:Cinema 4D, Max, RealFlow, Terragen, Motionbuilder
  • Machine Specs:I7 930 4.2 Ghz 12 GB Ram

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

a lot of it is down to the shading but also the emitter texture is important, if you emit from a smooth surface you will get smooth smoke, if the emission is patchy as in real life you get more streams, use noise on the emitter or poly selections. Just built a new rig so when all is ettled down and burnt in i will have a look at this. In fact I have a year to find the money for tis build ( Titan + i7 3930 with 64 GB Ram) so i will be really pumping out tuts and begging for donations !!! Funny you bring this up as i was smoking a... err.. hmmm..cigarette today and the sun was streaming in and the smoke was mesmerizing, i wish i had videoed it. I have a lot to do so when i am next feeling...smooth..i will vid some smoke and try to recreate it

#3 dhaymil

dhaymil

Just Arrived

• Contributers
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 05:12 AM
  • Favorite Apps:c4d studio artist povray
  • Machine Specs:10.7.5

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

Any chance you could post a scene file with such a texture? I am really not seeing much of an impact of putting different materials on my emitters so I assume there is some trick I am missing.
Would love to see an example of something smooth and semi-transparent such as the images posted by the original poster.
thanks much
d

a lot of it is down to the shading but also the emitter texture is important, if you emit from a smooth surface you will get smooth smoke, if the emission is patchy as in real life you get more streams, use noise on the emitter or poly selections. Just built a new rig so when all is ettled down and burnt in i will have a look at this. In fact I have a year to find the money for tis build ( Titan + i7 3930 with 64 GB Ram) so i will be really pumping out tuts and begging for donations !!!

Funny you bring this up as i was smoking a... err.. hmmm..cigarette today and the sun was streaming in and the smoke was mesmerizing, i wish i had videoed it. I have a lot to do so when i am next feeling...smooth..i will vid some smoke and try to recreate it

#4 SFX

SFX

Site Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

Well i doubt if these were done in C4D or particles for that matter. I rember some years ago seeing similar images and the trick was to use cloth or a deformed object (cylinder) and shade it using luminence driven by fresnel. Sorry i will try to dig into this soon but i am so busy burning in my new rig, fighting of the continual stream of people demanding money, arguing with the dustbin men, trying to keep the house going ( single parent) and occasionally eating some food !! Saying that have a look at xparticles site there is a good tutorial on a nebular effect which uses additive mode shading to get a similar look, also i think 3DS Max Krakatoa can shade like this, in fact it is one of it's strongest point. Also look at my TP cigarette scene file, it also has a similar look and with the right shading could come close

#5 SFX

SFX

Site Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:25 AM

Is this the sort of look you are after, i did not do this with your render in mind, it was a stress test but the end result looks promising for the look you are after and post comp work would make it even more as you want, You would need to loose the later turbulence and vorticity and do some funky stuff with opacity mapping. I will experiment with your requirements in mind

#6 dhaymil

dhaymil

Just Arrived

• Contributers
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 05:12 AM
  • Favorite Apps:c4d studio artist povray
  • Machine Specs:10.7.5

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

This is an excellent video - would oyu be willing to share the scene or at least the settings? Was the emiter just extruded text?
Verynice
d.

Is this the sort of look you are after, i did not do this with your render in mind, it was a stress test but the end result looks promising for the look you are after and post comp work would make it even more as you want, You would need to loose the later turbulence and vorticity and do some funky stuff with opacity mapping. I will experiment with your requirements in mind

http://www.black-and...stuff/fabig.mov

#7 MaryAnnjoile

MaryAnnjoile

Just Arrived

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 11:12 AM
  • Favorite Apps:MaryAnnjoile
  • Machine Specs:Poland

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:15 AM

Ive got a lot of fire, sparks and smoke in a storyboard Im creating. Any easy way to do those effects? lacking an easy way -- any hard way?

#8 SFX

SFX

Site Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:57 AM

Ive got a lot of fire, sparks and smoke in a storyboard Im creating. Any easy way to do those effects? lacking an easy way -- any hard way?

For fire and smoke use turbulence fd and then use the velocity field to drive particles which you shade as sparks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users