#1 Vilandra

Vilandra

Unpacking Bags

• Poster
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 07:03 AM
  • Favorite Apps:Cinema 4D
  • Machine Specs:Dual Quad QX9775's @ 4.0Ghz, 4 Gigs RAM, nVidia Quadro FX 1700

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

I want to use VRay (although ive just started messing around with it) to render an animation I have with a couple of objects moving around, as well as the camera. I was reading on the vrayforc4d site that vray is really good for static scenes with camera fly-through's, but its horrible with object animation. Someone was mentioning that in order to get good flicker free results, the render times were going thru the roof. Anyone ever create a flicker free VRay animation with objects moving? I'de really like to try it, but my machine isnt all that wonderful.. 1.4Ghz P4, 768 RAM.

#2 SFX

SFX

Site Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts
  • Local time: 12:03 PM
  • Favorite Apps:Cinema 4D, Max, RealFlow, Terragen, Motionbuilder
  • Machine Specs:I7 930 4.2 Ghz 12 GB Ram

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:44 PM

Vray for max uses a technique whereby the background gi is calculated as a still or using camear fly and then some sort of arcane spherical gizmo is applied to the animated objects so only the gi immediately surrounding them that effects the immediate background is calculated

http://www.spot3d.co...orials_anim.htm

This is of course not available in Cinema 4D Vray. So my guess is you just have to go with a strong GI setup, maybe using brute force as the secondary bounce

This is an issue which is convineently skirted over in the vray forums, you get very muffled responses when you ask about it and i think that the truth is that vray for cinema 4d is not really geared to character/object gi animation in perhaps the way that final render is

#3 Vilandra

Vilandra

Unpacking Bags

• Poster
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:17 PM

Ok, ill have to play around with it some. Perhaps ill take a look at finalrender, although its shader tree is a bit confusing.... Also, ide like to know if anyone has had any problems using images with VRay? I created a new material, and applied a black and white image of some text into the diffuse channel. (Text is black, and the rest is white). I then applied the same image to the weight channel, and the preview image showed the correct image of my black text with the white background removed just as an alpha image should look. I then applied that material to my object, enabled vray, and started rendering..... unfortunately, the place where the image is, is all black. Ive been messing around with just about every setting I can think of, and I cannot get the alpha image to show up. Anyone else have this problem?

#4 SFX

SFX

Site Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:52 PM

works fine here using a checkerboard shader in the diffuse and weight chanels, i will try an image ..and works with a jpg image as an alpha, white is transparent ( cut out) remember the mat tag defaults to a spherical mapping you may well want to adjust this as for FinalRender, you do not have to use the material node system as FR works with C4D maps and also has a fairly useful architectural FR mat which incorporates a lot of the node functionality in a familar "C4D" mat interface

#5 Vilandra

Vilandra

Unpacking Bags

• Poster
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:14 AM

Let me take a few screenshots showing my material setup, as well as the render to show what it looks like. Perhaps that may shed some light on this issue.

#6 Vilandra

Vilandra

Unpacking Bags

• Poster
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

Ok, here are a few screenshots of the material editor (weight and diffuse channels) and the viewport editor showing the texture, and then the render.

Attached Files

#7 SFX

SFX

Site Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

yes i get the same, best to ask on the vray forum but maybe try a work around not using alpah but using 2 diffuse chanels with the image in the transparency of the first diffuse layer hold on it may be the order of the tags i will upload a version i think works Attached File  tonka.rar   26.61KB   21 downloads

#8 Vilandra

Vilandra

Unpacking Bags

• Poster
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

I am curious as to whether the projection type has anything to do with it. I made a selection, then chose "set selection", and applied the label to the selection using flat projection. I noticed in your example, you had it set to uvw. I guess a work-around could be to match the color in photoshop, and just replace the white with the main color ill be using on the truck while keeping the text black. Ive also tried playing around with the order of the tags, but that doesnt seem to work either. Guess ill pop in over at the vray forum and ask there.

#9 SFX

SFX

Site Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

But i thought my example worked as you wanted, the logo is cut from it's white background and will be overlaid on whatever the second material is

#10 Vilandra

Vilandra

Unpacking Bags

• Poster
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:44 PM

Ok, I just figured out what I did wrong. Yes, your example worked, but there was one setting I forgot to check, and that is the "mix textures" option for the logo material. Now it works. I knew there must have been something I missed that was simple. Thanks for helping. I completely forgot about the Mix Textures option.

#11 SFX

SFX

Site Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:23 PM

glad you got it

#12 Vilandra

Vilandra

Unpacking Bags

• Poster
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:31 PM

Ok, now my other selections are not working. Ive made several selections on the object. (One was the logo) and now only the logo and main paint color is showing up. The other selections are showing up as the main color. This is really odd. I turned on the mix textures for the rest of the materials, but that didnt work. I dont recall having this problem before. :blink:/>

#13 SFX

SFX

Site Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:46 PM

yes selections with vray are a bugger to handle, try having no selections tags highlighted and even no objects selected, make sure you have tags in the order that i showed in my example file

#14 assemnemn

assemnemn

Just Arrived

• Poster
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Favorite Apps:assemnemnMC
  • Machine Specs:USA

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:19 PM

I also find it incredibly tricky to setup where the sun is coming from as it is a fixed position in HDRI and you need to fiddle with the rotation to match it up to whatever position it ought to be for your model. I suspect HDRI is a lot better for interior rendering as a light source and for object rendering jewelry and such.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users